The current Duke of York building appears to date from around 1800 when it was origionally used as a private dwelling with attached barn. The 1848 tithe survey refers to buildings and garden with a croft on the opposite side of the road. By the 1850s the building had started to be used as an inn, although not under the current name.
Although the building changed significantly between that time and the 1960s it can be seen that many of the original features had been retained.
The Grade II designation of The Duke of York denotes it is of national importance for its special architectural and historic interest. It was first designated as a Grade II listed building on February 20, 1984.
The Duke of York is located in the centre of the village of Grindleton, historically part of the West Riding of Yorkshire but since 1974 one of the communities within the borough of Ribble Valley, Lancashire. The building lies within the Grindleton Conservation Area which was designated on October 3, 1974.
The Grindleton Conservation area justified its designation because of:
- Its highly-visible position within the Forest of Bowland Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. It is located on a terrace above the River Ribble, where it can be seen from the river and from neighbouring villages
- The survival of the medieval (possibly Saxon) street plan, with tenement plots running at right angles to the main street, linked by side alleys to a back road
- Numerous historic buildings, including 17th and 18th century weavers’ cottages
- Local details such as wells, farmhouses and barns, a pinfold, stone field boundaries and other reminders of the agricultural history of the village
- The close proximity of relatively wild moorland and open fields, which provide a rural setting to the village
- Panoramic views of Pendle Hill over Chatburn and the River Ribble.
- It has an important place in Nonconformist history, as the village gave birth to the Grindletonian sect in the 1600s*
*The Grindletonians were a small non-conformist Christian dissenting sect founded at Grindleton in the early part of the 17th century. The group’s leader was Roger Brearley (or Brierley, Brereley) (1586–1637), a curate who worked at Grindleton, Kildwick and Burnley. The beliefs of the sect are unclear, but seem to have included Antinomianism, anti-clericalism and the concept of an earthly Paradise.
Grindleton is situated on a terrace above the River Ribble with superb views of Pendle Hill. It is a Saxon planned village climbing linearly up the fell, parallel to Grindleton Brook. It was named in the Domesday Book as Gretlintone and had a mill. The historical character of the village is farming, and cottage-based hand-loom weaving.The village is famed for a 17th century non-conformist religious sect – the Grindletonians. Damson orchards were once common in the village and a local jam factory used the produce. Alongside damsons, Grindleton became famous for its beekeepers. In 1805 the new church was dedicated to St Ambrose, the patron of beekeepers (one of only two such dedications in the country).The village has a Heritage Trail taking the visitor around the village and outlining its history and vernacular architecture. A leaflet and map may be downloaded from the village website.There is excellent local walking within the Millenium Wood and along the River Ribble and above the village is Grindleton Fell, offering excellent walking and outstanding views.